The hottest hotkeys we know
Hold down the Windows key (normally located between Alt and Ctrl) when (Windows) is shown.
- Press (Windows) to enter the tiled Start screen.
- (Windows) + M minimizes everything that’s showing on the desktop.
- (Windows) + E opens Explorer for quick access to folders.
- On the Start screen, press (Windows) + D to instantly get to the desktop.
- (Windows) + Tab opens a list of currently running programs.
- (Windows) + Print Screen takes a screenshot and saves it in a Screenshots folder nested in your Pictures folder.
- To take a screenshot on a Windows 8 tablet, simultaneously press the Windows button and the volume-down button on the tablet chassis.
- (Windows) + Q opens a global search menu. Type what you’re looking for and where you would like to look.
- (Windows) + W opens a search in your system settings to quickly locate and change system properties.
- (Windows) + F opens a file and folder search.
- (Windows) + Pause opens the system properties page to show you a quick rundown of your specs.
- (Windows) + “,” (that’s the comma sign!) makes all current windows transparent, giving you a peek at the desktop as long as you hold down (Windows).
- (Windows) + “.” (the period) snaps a window to the right or left side (toggling each time you press “.”).
- (Windows) + R prompts the Run command—useful for quickly launching apps and other routines with a command prompt.
- (Windows) + X opens the Quick Access Menu, exposing system functionality such as the Command Prompt, Disk Management, File Explorer, Run, and more. It’s perfect for people who Start Menu. Alternately, you can right-click on the bottom right corner of the screen to spawn the Quick Access Menu.
- (Windows) + I opens the settings menu, giving you quick access to the Control Panel, Personalization, and your Power button, among other features.
- (Windows) + O locks orientation on devices with an accelerometer.